*** OPEN ACCESS ***
“Coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the release of the film, Rayna Denison curates this new collection to critically reflect on Princess Mononoke‘s significance within and beyond Japanese culture. The collection investigates the production, and re-production, processes involved in the making of Princess Mononoke into a global phenomenon and reevaluates the film’s significance within a range of global markets, animation techniques, and cultures.”
Editor: Rayna Denison
Publisher: Bloomsbury Academic (New York)
Denison, Rayna. Introducing Studio Ghibli’s Monster Princess: From Mononokehime to Princess Mononoke (pp. 1-22)
Part 1: Intellectualizing Miyazaki: Politics, Religion and the Environment in Princess Mononoke
- Yoshioka, Shiro. Princess Mononoke: A game changer (pp. 25-40).
- Niskanen, Eija. Deer gods, nativism and history: Mythical and archaeological layers in Princess Mononome (pp. 41-56).
- Daniels-Lerberg, Tracey, & Lerberg, Matthew. To ‘see with eyes unclouded by hate’: Princess Mononoke and the quest for environmental balance (pp. 57-73).
Part 2: Princess Mononoke‘s Female Characters: Animation Influences, Feminism and Cultural Liminality
- Alekseyeva, Julia. Spirit Princess and Snow Queen: The Soviet roots of Princess Mononoke (pp. 77-96).
- McCarthy, Helen. Teenage wildlife: Princess Mononoke and Hayao Miyazaki’s theory of the feminine (pp. 97-113).
- Vernon, Alice. Beyond girlhood in Ghibli: Mapping heroine development against the adult woman anti-hero in Princess Mononoke (pp. 115-129).
Part 3: A Transnational Princess: The Adaptation, Promotion and Reception of Princess Mononoke
- Nicholson, Jennifer E. The translation and adaptation of Miyazaki’s spirit princess in the West (pp. 133-150).
- Carter, Laz. Marketing Mononoke: The Daihito becoming Disney (pp. 151-172).
- Pett, Emma. Homer, Ovid, Disney and Star Wars: The critical reception and transcultural popularity of Princess Mononoke (pp. 173-191).
- Clements, Jonathan. Reading Mononoke-hime. Schoolgirl Milky Crisis (March 29, 2018)
- Cook, Malcolm. Screen, 60(2), 351-356.
- Ingle, Zachary. Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, 39(3), 624-626.
- Montero, Laura. 20 years of Mononoke. Animationstudies 2.0.